Halley's Comet - 1986

Halley's Comet - 1986

Thursday, October 2, 2008

One month Anniversary of Being in Austin

It is now October 2, 2008, just about one month from the day I moved to good ol' Austin, TX. What I love about this city is the laid back atmosphere, the flourishing arts and music culture, and the perfect balance between old fashioned southern comfort and contemporary urban spice. My days here have been filled with job hunting, networking, yoga, training for a half marathon, and exploring the lively sites that this city has to offer.

Here is a list of some sites I have enjoyed this far:

1. Running along Town Lake - there is an amazing runners community out here in Austin. And rightly so. There is a beautiful 25 or so mile trail with different paths that border the city's lake, and it makes for a great morning or early evening run when the air is usually cooler. There are runners everywhere, dogs jumping in the lake, and even rowers and canoers to see.

2. Swimming in Barton Springs - From 9-10pm you can visit this very large naturalspring-like pool for free. It's not really a pool, and it's not really a natural spring either, it just looks a little like both. There is a diving board and no chlorine. I went on the night of the full moon, and they showcased live music...we also joined in the spirit of the event and howled at the moon...How many times have y'all (yeah that's right, I said y'all) howled at the moon in unison with about fifty or so other people?

3. My apartment - I have been living with a strange combination of four(including myself) girls who come from completely different backgrounds, yet we mesh so very well. Emerald is the rebel from San Antonia, who is a lesbian and likes to skateboard. Anna is the Southern Bell from Houston, who is a really cool artist and likes to draw tatoos in her free time while watching movies. Maribelle is Mexican from a small town called Dimmit in Texas who is studying to be a social worker. And myself, the free spirited Jew from Chicago. It's great to have a place to come home where I know I am in good company.

Well that's all on Austin for now. Stay posted, because I have much more I need to share with you!

1 comment:

Sharanya said...

Welcome to Austin, Halley! It's great to have you with us at Team Asha! :) Looking forward to reading about your adventures.